Being a southpaw, I loved writing this particular post. I had a smile on my face the entire time, so be warned — I’m riding a wave of superiority at the moment.
As great as left-handed people are — we have suffered in silence for a very long time. While we make up about 10% of the general population the world has been constructed for ‘righties’. We have had a rough ride:
- Scissors — Just try using your left hand. Go ahead and try — I dare you;
- Door knobs — made to turn to the right which is physiologically easier for righties;
- Automobile manual transmission gear shifts — unless you’re in England, Australia or a small number of other places;
- 3-Ring Binders — impossible for lefties to write on the right side of the rings where most lined paper is designed because our wrist is actually hooked when we write;
- Ball-point pens — don’t work well for lefties because we push the pen rather than pull it;
- Computer keyboard number pad — always on the right side;
- University theatre desks (see above) – arrgh!
- Can openers – arrgh again!